Carousel Panel 9

Carousel Panel 10

Carousel Panel 11

Carousel Panel 12

Carousel Panel 13

Carousel Panel 14

Carousel Panel 15

Carousel Panel 16

Carousel Panel 17

Carousel Panel 18

Carousel Panel 19

The AFIM awarded Evan Evans with their "Indie Grammy" for Best Cover Design of the year 2000 in music. It is a milestone for Evans in the professional art world. Evans has always had success in art and graphic design and this is a very welcome feather in his cap indeed.

The night was hosted by radio personality Dr. Demento in the Bowl Room of the Regal Biltmore hotel in downtown Los Angeles. Lalo Schifrin was also among the nominees that night, albeit in another category. After Evans recieved the award, Mr. Schifrin came over to his table table to congratulate him on the win.

Here is a trancription of the speech Evans made at the podium:

"I have a prepared a spontaneous speech, so hang on...

I first want to say that it is a special honor to be on the nomination list this year with my mentor and good friend, Lalo Schifrin. Lalo knew my father and has told me some great stories about him.

My father died when I was 5. The material for 'Practice Tape No.1' is from personal recordings that he left behind, no doubt for others to discover. It is my label, E3 Records' first release. I set out to create a label dedicated to the releasing of fine jazz, Classical and Film Soundtracks, culled from my father's preservation material, from other artists, and from my own film scores.

The design for the cover, as well as the whole package, was a labor of love. Working with graphic designer Edoardo Chavarin, I decided to create not only a new retro look visually, but also conceptually. I was aiming to give fans of my father the feeling that they were holding something special, something vintage that you might find inyour own attic after years gone by.

This award inaugorates that dedication to quality.

I want to thank Joe Gastwirt for handling the recordings and mastering with special care...my wife Michele René and our new son Elliot, my mother Nenette, my step-father Fonjé,...Erin, Geannette, Maxine and Herbie Hancock for challenging us to 'think outside of the box.'

Thank you."

0 comments